Costs Draftsman (Minimum 2 years experience)
Birmingham City Centre
A well established, specialist law firm based in Birmingham’s city centre. They have a significant presence in their chosen markets, which include a wide range of social care, local government & Not-for-Profit clients. Their work encompasses multi-million pound claims for damages to improve the lives of vulnerable and injured people and managing their affairs within the court of protection where necessary.
Outline of the role
Working as part of a team and managing your own caseload. This position will focus mainly on Clinical Negligence and Personal Injury cost claims and the preparation of costs budgets, but assistance may be required with bills relating to other areas of work the firm undertakes such as Court of Protection bills.
The successful candidate will have excellent communication skills and the ability to work cooperatively within a team whilst looking for continual personal development.
A minimum of 2 years relevant Costs experience, together with sound knowledge of costs law and practice and the Legal Aid Agency Regulations. The successful candidate will ideally be a Costs Lawyer, or working towards the ACL qualification, although this is not essential if the candidate has excellent relevant experience.
Day to day duties
- Preparation of detailed costs budgets in accordance with court directions and timetable
- Preparation of detailed bills of costs, schedules for agreement, estimates of costs, statements of costs for summary assessment and Legal Aid Agency claim forms relating to - Personal Injury and Clinical Negligence claims
- Lodging/submitting bills and claims for assessment by the courts or Legal Aid Agency as appropriate
- Preparing points of dispute and points of reply
- Attending and undertaking advocacy, where appropriate, at detailed assessment and costs management hearings
- Undertaking negotiations with other party’s representatives in relation to costs
- Preparing long form Court of Protection bills
- Providing advice and support in relation to costs and funding to fee earners as needed
- Effective performance in the role is assessed by the fulfilment of key measures.
- Meeting individual and team targets (chargeable hours and fees billed)
- Meeting development review objectives
- Undertaking and benefitting from appropriate training
Please email your up to date CV stating your current salary, notice period and salary sought to (url removed)
Our aim is to respond to all successful applications within 5 days. If you haven't been contacted within 5 days your application has been unsuccessful and your details will not be held further but we positively encourage you to apply for any other positions that you may see in the future.
We apologise that we cannot contact everybody in person but thank you in advance for your interest